I LOVE to cook. I’ve always been enchanted with the whole act of cooking and food preparations. It’s totally like kitchen witchery! Somehow, standing over a stove has always felt like some magical act. When I write characters that cook, I always imagine the scents the food will create and the process. I am always on the lookout for new and exciting recipes. As well, I am really trying to decrease the amount of waste in my house, so I am learning to combine interesting ingredients together to make tasty awesomeness!
I noticed the last few days that I had 8 apples or so that needed to be eaten because they were on their way out to apple heaven. I started digging around and discovered this recipe. I tweaked it a little bit and came up with my own version of (Mostly) Healthy Apple Crumble in the Crock Pot!
3/4 cup oats
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
about 2 tsp of vanilla extract
4 tbs butter
8 apples (I used Red Delicious)
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
drizzling of honey
1) Peel and core the apples, slicing them in small bits.
2) Place them in a bowl.
3) In another bowl, mix the oats, sugar, and spices.
4) Turn your crock pot to LOW and unwrap your stick of butter. Coat the stoneware with butter and then pour in your apples (I do this by rubbing the stick on the sides and bottom).
5) Drizzle the vanilla and honey over the top of the apples.
6) Pour the dry ingredients over the apples.
7) Cut the 4 TBS of butter into small squares and top the rest of the ingredients.
8) Cook on LOW for 4 hours. Serve warm and fresh from the crock pot or refrigerate and reheat for breakfasts!
I L-O-V-E-D this dish. So did the hubby and friend Kate. It was warm, fallish, and made the house smell like heaven! It is a mostly healthy dish–I say mostly, because there was a half cup of sugar on top of natural fructose in the apples + the raw honey. However, it is a lot better than what some of us might eat for breakfast. I made this as a desert for dinner tonight, but I’ll be heating it up for breakfast tomorrow to enjoy with my cup of green tea. 🙂
Enjoy! Let me know if you make it! What tweaks did you make?